lundi 16 janvier 2017

WHEN THE STUDENT IS READY, A TEACHER WOULD APPEAR : SIMILARITY BETWEEN YOGIC AND NATIVE AMERICAN UNDERSTANDINGS

The portrait above is that of the Great Chief Sitting Bull of the Lakota.

I had spent this weekend indoors. While this house is in an isolated part of the less populated state in the USA, there is wifi and thus I was connected to the world. I was reading and writing. While I am not in the Social Medial circles, I enjoy connecting with  people I have already connected and enjoy conversations, exchange of notes or emails. 
This weekend, I had connected with friends and correspondents from Buenos Aires, Bariloche in Argentina; Rio, Sao Paolo in Brasil, various places in Cuba, Brussels in Belgium, Cordoba in Spain, KL in Malaysia to name a few places, and of course Miami, Florida; Little Rock, Arkansas, Portland, Oregon, Eagle Pass, Texas etc etc..
The conversations tend to become directed towards inner happiness in one way or another, so it was good to dust off notes from my good friend MC in KL when she had gone to India to learn Yoga and its philosophy.
I will quote her words in answer to the question:
What are the qualities expected from the learner of any system in Yoga?
She writes: Qualities expected from all learners of Yoga are among others, discipline, perseverance, devotion, commitment and faith in the Yoga and the teacher .
Also the learner must have a very stong desire and fortitude to learn and follow restraints in order for true learning to take place. It is also crucial for the learner to be disinterested in the material world, if not he/she will be distracted from the path.
I felt very spirited after reading this
When people ask me questions regarding oriental or american indian philosophies, I quote for them and showing their similarities: Guru comes to those who are ready. It is also found in Jewish teachings, for miracles to happen, the participants have to prepare themselves and be ready.
You can use it in the field of medical care as well. One of the pleasures of being a Doctor to the Indians is that long consultations involve delving into other dimensions of life and suffering . American Indians are very interested in the belief systems of other people and are happy to listen to stories and tales of other cultures 
In Medical Care, we could say, Health comes to those who are ready to accept it.
In Iran, each person try to read a few words or sentences of their renowed poet Hafez, seeking guidance 
In the Persian tradition, whenever one faces a difficulty or a fork in the road, Or even if one has a general question in mind, one would hold that question in mind, and then ask the Oracle of Shiraz
Hafiz

for guidance.
More often than not,
Hafiz, in his own enigmatic way would sing to the questioner and through the song, would get the questioner to look in the mirror of his/her soul.
Upon reflection in the mirror of Hafiz's Ghazal one would be inspired with an answer, a guidance or a direction.

Traditionally,
the first line upon which the eyes of the reader fall, would give the answer to the direct question, and the rest of the Ghazal would give further clarification.

I can look for a few words from Yoga Sutras of Patanjali but I know that when I reach the Consulting Rooms (much like a Lounge really) there would be unending wisdom waiting for me, as much as I am ready or willing to understand.
Yoga Sutras arrived in my life when I was fully ready, thanks to Vandana Yadav, Aparna Ganesh and Munching Yong as well as Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
My teacher was not a saffron robed guru with a beard but a Chinese accountant working for a Cable TV company in Malaysia!

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...