samedi 30 décembre 2017

IRAN IN MY HEART : LET US LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE OF IRAN

One of the first countries I became aware as a child for its culture and literature was IRAN/Persia. The fact that my father had spent some time in Abadan may have influenced it as well.
Over the years I had kept abreast of what is happening in Iran. As a Jew, it is not advisable for me to travel to Iran (nor to Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for that matter) and I lament the fact that I cannot enjoy Iran to the fullest. Fortunately, during a period of two years, a good friend of mine from Teheran and I met twice in KL and twice in London, and the exchange of information, information and affection was intense and mutually beneficial.
There is no hatred between Jews and Iranians and an effort to convey this message to the Iranians was very well received.
here is the video clip of every day Israelis saying I love you to Iran
It becomes all the more relevant now that Iran is engaged in proxy war with Saudi Arabia by supporting Shia militants in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Yemen. There is a simmering rivalry between these two entities which paradoxically have benefited women as they want to show to each other who is less conservative than the other. Iran for the first time allowed women to watch a sports event. (men were barred. which centuries are the clerics living in?).. oh vow..
The Iranians are the most educated of all in the Muslim world, Turkey included and you can only suppress them by force for so long, it is amazing that the Clerics have survived so long, since 1979 as I do not get the feeling that they do not have the popular support. As my friend said to me: I am glad they taught me Islam and now I am in the west  I can honestly reject it.
The current discontent is just the tip fo the iceberg, it wont be long until Iran and its educated, sophisticated population flare far beyond military might to suppress it. The Pen and now Internet is mightier than the sword and nooses of the Oppressors!
From BBC:

What is behind the unrest?

The protests were initially against economic conditions and corruption but appear to have turned political.
Slogans have been chanted against not just Mr Rouhani but Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and clerical rule in general.
Demonstrators were reportedly heard yelling slogans like "The people are begging, the clerics act like God". Protests have even been held in Qom, a holy city home to powerful clerics.
There is also anger at Iran's interventions abroad. In Mashhad, some chanted "not Gaza, not Lebanon, my life for Iran", a reference to what protesters say is the administration's focus on foreign rather than domestic issues.
Other demonstrators chanted "leave Syria, think about us" in videos posted online. Iran is a key provider of military support to the government of Bashar al-Assad in Syria.
It is also accused of providing arms to Houthi rebels fighting a Saudi-led coalition in Yemen, which it denies, and is an ally of Lebanon's powerful Shia movement Hezbollah.
I wish all the best and good luck in the world to my Iranian brothers and sisters and I too want to join the Israelis to tell them:
I love you Iran, I love you Iranians 

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...