samedi 13 janvier 2018

YOU GET OLD ONLY WHEN YOU DON’T HAVE A PROJECT TO DO said Sir VS NAIPAUL

YOU GET OLD ONLY WHEN YOU DON’T HAVE A PROJECT TO DO

As our reading abilities evolve, so does our choice of literature. After the usual classics of school years, one ventures and discovers, the other literature, which to me was Alberto Moravia (Italian, Jewish) and Agnar Mykle (Norwegian). Australia provided the local literature, Nevile Shute who was a celebrated Brit-Oz writer and of course I was already interested in understanding what made Australians, Aussies. I recognized the unique nature of Australian Humour, and The Outcasts of Foolgarah by Frank Hardy was a favourite. If you ask me what defines an Aussie, I can flatly claim: An Aussie is a person who has an Aussie sense of humour.

All that was gobbled up when I was introduced to the West Indies and its literature, I fondly remember my good friend Lincoln Myers from Trinidad who told me about VS Naipaul who was to be a constant companion and eagerly read each and every book he published, especially his travel books, starting with India: An area of Darkness. Visits to various Caribbean islands made me want to read other writers from the region, before plunging headlong into the magical realism of Latin America.
I am reading this morning Inner Engineering by Sadhguru.
Here is something he writes:
Learn to place your intellect in the sheath of your awareness rather than in the sack of memory and identification.
That reminded me of what Naipaul said: you feel old only when you don’t have a project, something to look forward to.
Whatever your age, rather than dipping into the memory captured by your experiences or thoughts, look forward to creating experiences and thoughts. In this way you invigorate yourself: mind and body


What projects do I have?
Apart from planning travels which are always a pleasant task…
A Diabetes and Wound Clinic in Easter Island helped by my Omaha Indian friends

Disease Prevention Public Health Education in a village along the Amazon

And Cuba that unending feast is always an unending project!

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...